If you own a water tank it is important for you to consider the ways you can maximise the rainwater in your tank to get the most from your water system.
Rainwater tanks generally require little maintenance; however there are a few things you can do to help gain the best benefit from your rainwater system:
- Regularly clear gutters and roof catchment – keeping them free of debris such as leaves , twigs and vermin
- Remove tree branches overhanging on your roof
- Check any protective mesh regularly and replace them if damaged – to prevent algae from forming and mosquitoes breeding
- Ensure that overflows from air conditioners or hot water systems don’t discharge into the overflow area of your rainwater tank
- Tanks should be examined for accumulation of sludge at least every 2-3 years
To ensure you are maximising the use of water available from your rainwater tank, ensure that you use your rainwater tank for the following:
- Watering your garden and lawn – during warm weather, this is best in the morning or evening
- Washing your car
- Filling your swimming pool, spas, ornamental ponds or water features
- Connect your tank to your toilets and laundry, so tank water is used to flush toilets and wash your clothes, rather than mains water
This way, not only are you are saving money but also helping to preserve the environment.